Saturday, September 3, 2016

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles...and a baby llama.

Thursday morning we had a brief 15-minute television interview on, “Salud Es Vida”.  We discussed many aspects of audiology, including: general ear care, causes, signs, and effects of hearing loss, and communication strategies. I think it’s safe to say that we were all a bit nervous but it turned out well and we all enjoyed the opportunity.  After the interview, we were treated to breakfast by Rachel and Claudette from Vive Peru, followed by an unexpected parade on the street outside. Thursday afternoon, we decided to do a bit more exploring and took a 20 minute ride to Huaca de la Luna y Huaca del Sol. There we were able to see pre-Incan temples that were discovered in 1991 and had be amazingly well preserved. We had a wonderful tour guide who explain more about the significance of the temples and indigenous peoples; there were some great pictures taken!! 

Greg discussing general hearing health on a local television news segment

Clare and Shannon discussing causes of hearing loss and communication strategies

Traditional Polish/Ukranian dancers during the multicultural parade

Clare, Jenna and Shannon exploring the exterior ruins of Huaca de la Luna

Thursday night we had our last dinner at our home stay, exchanging gifts and thank you cards to our host family. They are an amazing family and we were so fortunate and grateful for their immense and genuine hospitality. We could not thank them enough for everything that they did for us! After our goodbyes, we left for our very last overnight bus.  We arrived in Lima on Friday morning and checked in to the Dragonfly Hostel for the second time during our trip. We all spent the day walking around town and buying gifts for our friends and family. That afternoon we said goodbye to Jenna as she headed out for her flight to Arequipa; she will continue her travels in Peru for a few more weeks.

Saying goodbye to our amazing host family

The last few days of our trip were at our own expense and the three of us decided to head to Cuzco and Machu Picchu to explore Peru a bit more. Saturday was spent exploring Cuzco – the markets, Cristo Blanco, etc.  Sunday we spent touring the Sacred Valley, including Pisac and Ollantaytambo, and from there, we boarded a train to Aguas Calientes. Monday morning we visited Machu Picchu which was an amazing  and quite indescribable experience. We spent about 7 hours there taking pictures, petting llamas, hiking, (Greg made it to the top) and going on a tour to learn more about the ruins. It was definitely unforgettable!  The visit was brief and within the next 24 hours, we were back in Lima – we truly traveled by planes, trains, and automobiles. Wednesday morning we were up bright and early to head home to Chicago. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Peru - spreading our interests across audiology, screening kids and adults, and exploring the country. Thank you to everyone who has offered us support both financially, through donations and fund raising, and personally through our wonderful community and families; it helped us take the third year of this project to a new level. We hope the momentum from this year’s project will help us to expand the services we are able to provide in Peru in the future. Ciao!!

Lab coats are considered proper climbing gear

The view from the peak of Machu Picchu Mountain

NUSAA at Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu

Clare with her new best friend

No comments:

Post a Comment